Q: Who is responsible for providing transportation services to a child on an Individualized Education Program (IEP)?

1 min. readlast update: 02.12.2024

A: It is the responsibility of the school district of legal residence to provide transportation in accordance with State and federal laws. A child on an IEP has the same right to transportation as any other student. If children live one and one-half (1½) or more miles away from their school, and the district provides transportation, a child on an IEP will receive transportation like all students. Whenever possible, children on an IEP should be transported with their non-disabled peers. However, the need for and type of transportation must be determined by the IEP team, consisting of a parent, special education teacher, general education teacher, and administrator. If the IEP team determines that transportation is a related service the child needs in order to access a free and appropriate public education (FAPE), then the service will be provided regardless of the distance the parent lives from school. Since the IEP team is responsible for determining the necessity of providing transportation to the child as a related service, it is imperative that the transportation department of the school district be consulted in this decision.

Was this article helpful?