Q: If a child leaves the elementary school district and transfers to an independent school district, who has the responsibility for providing transportation?

1 min. readlast update: 02.12.2024

A: Elementary school districts are divided into transportation areas in which one or more independent school districts must provide transportation for high school attendance. If a child whose residence is in the assigned transportation area transfers to an independent school district, then that independent school district must provide transportation for that child. Other independent districts may also enroll any transferred high school child, but they are not required to provide this transportation service outside their transportation area. In the event that transportation is included as a related service in the IEP and is reviewed by the receiving independent school district, the receiving school district will be required to provide transportation, regardless of the transportation area where the child resides.

Was this article helpful?