Can an Oklahoma DHS Caseworker request student records?

1 min. readlast update: 02.12.2024

The Uninterrupted Scholars Act [Public Law 112-278], allows schools to disclose PII from the education records of a student without obtaining prior written consent of the parents or the eligible student. This includes PII from records of students in foster care placement, an agency caseworker, or other representative of local child welfare agency or tribal organization when such agency is legally responsible for care and protection of the student. If it is unclear or not enough documentation is provided to the school that the student is in legal care and protection of the respective authorized agency, then a signed student records release by the student(s) parent/guardian or other legal documentation showing such custody will be required before student records are released by the school to the requesting agency or applicable representative.

Was this article helpful?